Wednesday 24 November 2010

Final Robot Concept

Here is my finalized robot concept that i derived from my research and first sketches. I really enjoyed  producing this robot because of the challenge of recreating my old designs into a 1930's style, whilst keeping the element of 'robotics' within the structure. I stood by my research for the colour and mechanical composition of products within that era, so i could successfully build up a character in which resembled a likeness to all kinds of old materials. I crafted simplistic shapes within the body work of the robot, whilst exposing screws and bolts for that added 'historical' affect. From my research of how mechanical products moved by steam power, i decided to en corporate this into my robot design by adding a steam powered valve pack to the back of the figure. This further aids to the 'aged' look, as it is not powered by electronics like robots are in our present day, it's by steam in which older items needed to work.

As previously stated, the facial structure of a character i believe is the most important, as it is where our attention is averted to. To successfully keep the element of the 1930's/40's, i decided to use a wartime gas mask, to blend in with the current situations of that time. However, to keep that robotic and inhuman feel, i designed one enlarged eye instead of two, as this further increases the element of artificial life. For the finishing touch i added an antenna to the side of the mask to resemble a radio transmitter, in which relates to old 1940's military radio packs as shown:


Once the sketch was complete, i uploaded the image into Photoshop and began applying colour, tone and texture to bring my character to life. I paid strict attention the colour wheel i did earlier for my tones and shading, using browns, greys and oranges to build up that rustic feel. Once i applied the shading and highlights, i blending the colours to make them darker and older. After the colouring was complete, i began sectioning pieces of the body for adding texture. To do this, i found a rusty metal pattern and applied it over the body with the opacity on low. Enabling this still brings through the colours and shading i did previously, but also adds a new appeal over the top. I really enjoyed doing this, as i never really played with patterns and textures. To finish off the piece, i selected a white brush at an opacity of about 20%, and then began scratching lines around the contours of the robot's structure. This also added to the tattered and aged look, as the older certain things become, the more worn out they look.

Overall, i can honestly say i enjoyed learning about the historical values of my research, and how it aided me in my processes for a successful design. I also liked playing with some new tools in Photoshop that i was unaware of before, and how the helped me in adding new textures to my digital work.


Bibliography:
. Google Images
. Brusheezey.com

No comments:

Post a Comment